CITY OF SPLIT HISTORIC CORE - LEARN ABOUT WORLD'S CULTURAL HERITAGE

Marjan

A drawing of Split (made by G.Juster in 1708)

Marjan

A Renaissance hermitage built in mid-15th century

Marjan

A Renaissance hermitage built in mid-15th century

Marjan

A small church of St.Nicholas, erected in the early 13th century

Marjan

A bird's eye view of Split in the early 20th century

Marjan

A small church of St.Jerome and a hermitage in the cave

Marjan

A relievo in the votive church Our Lady of Seven Sorrows in Kašjuni (made by George the Dalmatian in 15th century

The Marjan hill (178m high), lies on the west side of the city. Today it is a park forest. It was first mentioned in the medieval documents by name of Mons serranda (prohibited for pasture and felling of the trees) or Mons Kyrieleison, because of many small churches scattered in this area.The name of Marjan has been recorded as Marnano, Mariniano or Murnano in some historical documents listing the landowners' properties located on the slopes of the Marjan hill, and its origin is probably the name of a Roman landowner Marin or Marinian, who had owned most of this territory.

On a well-known geographical map of the Ancient World, called Tabula Peutingeriana (the preserved 12th /13th century copy of an old Roman map from 4th -5th century A.D.), the toponym Spalatum replaced the old toponym Diocletian Palace, while the site "Ad Dianam", to the Temple of Diana (the goddess of hunting) had been marked on the western cape of the Marjan hill, on which the Church of St. George was erected in 10th or 11th century.

Next to this small church, there is the Oceanographic Institute, located on the same cape by the sea, while,on the top of the hill, there is the Natural History Museum and the Zoo. The first belvedere is situated on the eastern slope and it can be reached by the stone steps mounting from Riva. From above, one can admire the splendid view of the whole city .

In 15th century there were Renaissance hermitages situated in the caves which can be visited even today. The caves are located in the cliffs of the southern slopes of the mount Marjan. According to tradition, the local inhabitants have gone on pilgramages to St. Jerome and to St. Cyriac since 13th century. In front of the cave there is a small church with the altar made by the sculptor Andrija Aleši and with the relievo depicting St. Jerome (dating from 1480). There are a few votive churches there as well: The Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows (15th century) with the relievo made by George the Dalmatian, a well-known sculptor from 15th century; then, there is the Church of Bethlehem (14th century) with a relievo depicting the Nativity, which has been recently restored. There is the Church of St. Nicholas on the eastern slope (early 13th century). The Benedictine monastery had been built next to it, but it was demolished in the beginning of the 20th century. Not far from the church, there is the Old Jewish cemetery from 16th century.