CITY OF SPLIT HISTORIC CORE - LEARN ABOUT WORLD'S CULTURAL HERITAGE
A drawing of Split (made by Angielo degli Oddi in 1854)
The military bakery (demolished in 1943)
The old building housing Archeological museum (erected along the eastern wall of the Palace in 1821, demolished in 1928)
The eastern gate of the city in 18th century
The works on reconstruction of the Silver gate (after W.W.2)
The Eastern Gate of Diocletian's Palace (so called Silver Gate) was dedicated to St. Apollinaire, a saint worshipped all over the Mediterranean world during the Early Christian period. The same as there had already been done above the northern and the western gate of Diocletian's Palace, the sentry corridor above this gate was also transformed into the church, probably in 6th century, so that the patron saint could protect the entrance to the city by his supernatural power. The wall structure and the gate itself were incorporated in the structure of other edifices in the course of the following centuries. Such is an example of the Church of Saints-innocents ("Dušice") which was demolished during the W.W.2.
The stages showing how the area along the eastern façade of the Palace was being developed from 4th to 19th century (made by J.Marasović)
The Silver Gate was reopened in the early 1950s, after it had been unearthed to its original level, and restored to its original appearance. Many additional structures from the previous centuries, which had been juxtaposed to the eastern wall of the Palace, were removed on that occasion. Close to the Silver Gate, there was another small gate opened in the late Middle Ages, so called Venetian Gate. This small gate was used as the entrance to the city during the period when the Silver Gate was walled and covered by additional structures.
Opposite the Silver Gate, along the main city market place, there is the old Dominican church and monastery, dating from the first half of 17th century, which were constructed on the site of the previous ancient structures. At the turn of 19th century, the church was enlarged. Its actual appearance was contrived in the early thirties.
To the east of the Silver Gate, there is the city quarter Lučac, which used to be in the outskirts of the city, but it is wholly integrated with the city core nowadays.